Monday, November 24, 2008

DIY Striplights and Foodshots

I shot a food-assignment for a really nice restaurant here on the Costa del Sol, Tiki Tano. Their German Top-Chef prepared some dishes for us to photograph (not to eat unfortunately, bugger).
I started by setting up my 'big' multiblitz monohead (600 w/s) but I found it actually too big/much light and since we had to move around to different locations in the restaurant. I decided on the minimalist strobist approach, which I came to love over the last year. Meaning: I set up a sb-800 in the back, camera-right, 1/2 cto (to warm up a bit), shot through 1/4 spun (sort of a loosely knitted type diffusing material), set at 1/16th power. They other sb-800 was covered with a DIY striplight. I made the striplight (softbox that brings out a thin strip of light) myself out of a half umbrellabox (so I got 2 striplights), made a hole in the back for my sb-800 to fit in and made a large opening opposite. Covered the inside with alu foil and filled it loosely with some spun to spread the light more and closed the opening with 3 layers of tracingpaper, voila striplight as invented by Bert Stephani of Confessions of a Photographer (It really works Bert). The striplight was also on 1/16th power. Both flashes were triggered by Elinchrome Skyports. I attached the set up sketch as well...








2 comments:

  1. Ugh! Don't you hate it when you get to shoot food assignments and the food looks so yummy but you can't eat it!!

    Thanks for all the tech info. I have never (in my whole career) ever used speed lights for a job! But I sure am learning a lot about them recently from all the posts on them! Very informative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vincent,

    I will try to build your striplight. Looks like a great way of creating controlled light. I have been using strobist techniques, and I agree, they are great, portable, flexibe and effective. I also used it for some food shots.

    Arpad

    http://www.ronaszegi.com
    http://ronaszegi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete